While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a jingle at 301-363-4699. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Mechanicsville weather.