Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask M & S Heating & Air LLC in Mechanicsville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at M & S Heating & Air LLC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at M & S Heating & Air LLC about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Mechanicsville home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at M & S Heating & Air LLC a call at 301-363-4699.