Summer weather in Mechanicsville can be rough. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve compiled some tips to help you out.
The top thing you can do to stay comfortable and ensure energy efficiency is by servicing your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system working at its best and efficiently, and M & S Heating & Air LLC is able to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to run more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to staying cool is routinely inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may boost energy expenses and damage your equipment, which may lead to premature failure. Our M & S Heating & Air LLC professionals will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to change them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people routinely forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give M & S Heating & Air LLC at call at 301-363-4699 or request an appointment with us online.