Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Mechanicsville, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at M & S Heating & Air LLC can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give M & S Heating & Air LLC in Mechanicsville a call to begin. Give us a shout at 301-363-4699 or arrange an appointment with us online.