You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to schedule furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It could seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this happens, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at M & S Heating & Air LLC a call at 301-363-4699 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.